Tue, 21 July|
Blue Derby Mountain Bike Trails
Ride and Record
Citizen Science on a Mountain Bike! Ride and Record let's you be a scout on the ground while riding through the threatened forests around the Blue Derby MTB trails scheduled for logging. Use your bike, camera and GoPro to record the big trees and biodiversity of the area.
Time & Location
21 July 2020, 2:51 pm
Blue Derby Mountain Bike Trails, Derby TAS 7264, Australia
About the Event
Be part of our MTB based Citizen Science 'Ride and Record' forest survey work around the threatened forests of the Blue Derby and Blue Tier MTB trails. We are currently focusing on the three logging coupes that span the hill taking in the Krushka's, Atlas and Dam Busters trails, and this is where we need your help.
Thanks to the Blue Derby MTB trails we now have many eyes and cameras in the area...that's you!
We are needing your help to get images of the biodiversity and significant trees in these threatened forest areas. This will help us pinpoint where to conduct in depth field surveys and fauna/flora monitoring to show the conservation value of these areas.
You can help us build a picture of where to focus our efforts by:
1. Register to be part of Ride and Record so we can send you a map showing where the logging coupes are currently situated (boundaries can change frequently) and where those boundaries are in relation to the MTB Trails
2. When riding the areas near to the threatened forest area turn on your GoPro and record the diverse landscapes and plant life you're travelling through
3. Take a moment to get off your bike, stretch your legs and photograph the big trees in these forests. Walking just 50m off the track will show you a whole other perspective on the forests and trees you don't get to see while riding. These are the forests we are working to protect.
4. When taking a picture of a tree, turn on your location device so that the coordinates are embedded in the image (we will need this to map out where the significant trees are located).
5. When you're back in range send us the best images (in focus, with GPS coordinates embedded in the image, and with tag to say what trail you're on) to firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Share your winning shots with the world on social media and tag us in at #bluederbywild...but don't forget to send us the image in larger res than Instagram allows.
Stay tuned for our Ride and Record maps for the Blue Tier and Weldborough areas as well. The forests around all these trails have been added to the areas available for logging as of April 2020, giving us much ground to cover and many MTB trails and walking trails to document.
Thanks for being part of the effort to save the forests of north east Tasmania. They are worth more standing.